Wednesday 28 April 2010

Bomber – I ballsed it up!

Cornwall born Chris Harris, made it through to the semi-finals of the European GP in Poland, recording one of his best results over the last few seasons. After a difficult 2009 in the Speedway Grand Prix series, “Bomber” racked up two wins and snuck into the semi-final but missed out to Janusz Kolodziej and Jarek Hampel, both home club riders.

It was an up and down night for Bomber Harris that lacked consistency, two wins, including one over three times World Champion, Nicki Pedersen. A superb race by Harris to beat Pedersen that had the crowd on their feet! He also beat current World Champion, Jason Crump and Rune Holta in heat 17 to earn his place in the semi’s.

Bomber admitted, “I ballsed it up in the semi-final. We did all he hard work getting to the semis but it was always going to be a tough order to come from gate four. I’ve got to take a lot of positives from this first GP and carry them on to the next one.”

The demeanour of the Coventry captain appeared very relaxed and confident, with some very determined rides against classy opposition. This was a contrast to last season when he was struggling, perhaps a change in attitude? “I just changed a few things over the winter. I tried to sort my head out and I’ve only got the people around me I actually need. I’ve not got a big group of people here with me and it’s definitely working and helping me to focus.”

As for the majority of GP riders, the volcanic ash had disrupted many plans logistically in the run-up the to the Leszno GP weekend. This affected the 27 year old more than most, with him having to miss an Elite League fixture. “It has been tough. I had to miss riding for Coventry on Thursday unfortunately, as I had to drive to Poland after the match at Poole Wednesday night. Luckily Coventry won!”

There was praise for a track that produced excellent racing after many complaints of track conditions in previous GP seasons leading to processional races. “The track was a lot better tonight, a little bit more material than normal. It did get a bit slick towards the end but of course if you can make the starts, it makes life a lot easier.”

The next GP is on a man-made track in Sweden at the Ullevi Stadium. Bomber was already looking ahead to the next one to see if he could improve on his total of eight points that put him in equal eighth position with a handful of riders.

“I had two wins, I will chuck the other results away. I can now aim for the same and better in Sweden. Roll on Gothenburg!”

No comments:

Post a Comment