Monday 14 June 2010

Speedway Grand Prix: Unlucky Zorro.

You had to feel sorry for the hard done by Magnus Zetterstrom, at the Copenhagen GP.

Scoring six points after his four rides, he desperately needed a win to guarantee a semi-final spot. He had seemingly secured it, with leading over Danish favourite, Hans Andersen. It looked as though the likeable Swede was due to be another spoiler, until Tai Woffinden lost control of his bike and the race was brought to a holt.

As ever, in speedway, when a race is re-run, the result is never the same. The 37 year old could only manage a third place, costing him the chance of making the semi-final for the third time in four GP’s.

Speaking to the Indianerna racer before the meeting, his confidence wasn’t high, “It’s not a track I really enjoy racing. It’s a really short track and reminds me of Eastbourne and Lakeside. This style of race-track doesn’t really suit me, so I think tonight will be difficult to repeat the success I had in Prague.”

However, any negativity was put aside once the helmet was on and for a track that he’s not at his most comfortable, it was another impressive performance. It wasn’t all bad for the Gdansk rider as the seven points scored on the night, increased his championship position, moving him to 9th in the standings. Ahead of more established rivals, Greg Hancock, Freddie Lindgren and Rune Holta.

Zorro is riding consistently well in the Grand Prix and if he can maintain this form, he has a very favourable chance of finishing in the top eight and booking his place direct for 2011 series. Not bad for an old guy! I caught up with him after the GP.

“I’m really happy with the way I am riding in the GP’s. I made a mistake in the semi-final and that’s it but I am enjoying my racing. This series suits me.”

The following day saw the Swede score 13 points in Poland in for his league team Gdansk and he helped his team secure an important win. There had been some criticism aimed at Zorro, by his Polish fans who were unhappy with his league performance when he scored just four points after his marvellous display in Prague when he made the final. Hopefully the double figures have put the smiles back on the enthusiastic fans!

Article by and courtesy of Leandra Graves.
http://www.worldspeedway.com/artman/publish/article_12759.shtml

No comments:

Post a Comment